About Mino Games
Mino Games is a free-to-play mobile gaming studio that produced the top 50 grossing mobile game Mino Monsters, with over 13 million downloads. We create deeply engaging, widely appealing games for millions of fans. We’re currently building our world class development studio in Montreal.
We are a small group of passionate engineers, artists and analysts with a mission to create games that millions of people all around the world love to play for years. We are funded by the best angel investors, institutional investors, and gaming companies from across the world. (Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Sybo Games).
Our third and latest game, Cat Game, has already hit the App Store’s Top 100 Grossing Chart in Canada. The game, currently in soft launch, is showing world class key metrics, and we are expecting it to be a global hit when we launch it by February 2019.
We are looking today to grow the team and looking for world class ambitious talent to come join us on the journey, to develop and support this newest title into a global success on both iOS and Android, and help us with future projects as we rapidly grow.
We are looking to hire a Senior Engineer to help us launch and grow our newest game. You’ll be joining a small but successful startup, where you’ll have the opportunity to really own your domain of expertise. Our engineering team is still very small, so you’ll be having huge impact.
As a Senior Engineer, you’ll be truly full stack, implementing features that touch the client, server, cli and web tools. You’ll be implementing features in the game, architecting our custom engine, building tools, and helping us remain bug free by fixing problems at their roots.
On the client side, we work in Haxe. Haxe is a relatively obscure, but incredibly powerful, cross-platform language. Our codebase is highly functional, typesafe, and opinionated. For example, we never get null reference errors because we strictly use option data types. We make strong use of algebraic data types, futures, and other functional patterns. On the server side, we work in NodeJS, using express, dynamodb, redis and socket.io. We have a very strict engineering culture, and very clean, safe code. You’ll be working with a team of three other senior engineers, who will help you ramp up.
Your work will include, but not be limited to:
- Working with artists to implement UI
- Implementing new client logic
- Implementing features on our client engine
- Improving the performance and safety of our client engine
- Adding features to our server
- Optimizing and maintaining our servers as we scale
- Finding and permanently solving difficult bugs
- Building tools for the leadership and community teams
- Commiting improvements to the open source software we use.
Experience you’ll need
- 10 years of programming experience, across client and server
- At least 7 years working with a modern strongly typed language (Java, Objective C, C#, Haxe, C++, Swift, etc)
- Experience with deploying projects on AWS or equivalent
- Experience with architecting and optimizing databases
- Worked on at least one shipped mobile project game
- Shipped features on the backend for at least one live project, and architected your own server on at least one project
- Experience in Haxe
- Experience in functional programming
- JS web experience
Since we’re such a small team, finding the right cultural fit is extremely important to us. We’re looking for people who are:
- Eager to learn and improve
- Positive, solution oriented – bring solutions, not resistance
- Fast – solves problems effectively
- Thorough – tests their code and thinks through all edge cases
- Takes initiative and responsibility – Finds ways to improve the code base without being told
- Fantastic debugger – aptitude for getting to the bottom of seemingly impossible problems
- Adaptable – can quickly learn new tech and solve a variety of problems
- Autonomous – doesn’t require much management
- Product oriented – deeply cares about the quality of the product they are developing, not just the code.
- Ambitious – wants to build something incredible!
- Private health insurance
- Have a large impact as part of a small, close-knit team.